Sunday, January 18, 2009

First Day

The sights and smells and sounds of the city can be overwhelming if you try to pay attention to them all at the same time. I found
myself wandering the streets of my new home in Paris' 15th arrondisement trying to pick out each individual smell on my first damp day in January with limited success.

After spotting the Eiffel Tower in the skyline, I started walking to it, diverting course to visit my friend Napoleon at Les Invalides and then ducking along the Seine past the Musée D'Orsay and into St. Germain Des Pres, sighting Les Deux Magots, spot of my first meal in France some 11 years or so ago (and the hang out of Picasso and other luminary figures I don't need to reel off now).

Getting home, I tried to stay awake as long as I could, but my eyes succumbed to sleep at 8:30.

No comments: